This is the season of the year that brings special time with loved ones, but it’s also a time when many un-merry mishaps and accidents can happen. From neck and back pain to sprains and strains to serious fractures that can put you in the emergency room. With a little care, preparation and precaution, you can be safe and enjoy the holidays to the fullest, while reducing the risk of experiencing a slip and fall injury.
This is where holiday prep, go for tools and the like usually begin. However, the garage can be the first place where danger lurks during this season.
- Most of us store the big boxes at the top on overhead storage racks etc. A wobbly step ladder, not enough upper body strength, someone opening the door where the ladder stands and tipping it, etc, is a perfect setup for a fall.
- The first thing to ask is whether or not this is a job for you? If not then wait and ask for help from friends and family that can offer added strength and balance.
- Plan ahead and prepare ahead so that repacking the decorations, lights, and so on will be a clean safe process.
- Proper footwear that can grip a stable step ladder is a must.
Around the Tree
Anything can happen around the tree, ornaments fall and break, wire from the lights shorts out, trip and fall around it.
- Just be aware of your surroundings and maybe keep a safe perimeter around the tree so nobody trips, slips and falls around it.
- Focus on stability on a ladder if you have to add, adjust, the tree/ornaments, lights and what have you.
- If the tree starts to lean, make sure reinforcements are there just in case when you’re ready to straighten it out.
Maybe Get Off the Floor
Wrapping gifts on the floor doesn’t pose the greatest risk for a spine injury, but it can increase chances for a muscle strain and sore back and neck. Hours just hunched over on the floor is a sure-fire set up for back pain.
- Again plan ahead and knock out the trimmings and trappings little by little so there is plenty left in the tank when it’s time for the main event.
- Maybe set up the wrapping station at a table and sit for a bit, stand for a bit, take plenty of breaks, and move around and stretch out.
- Sitting in a chair will help posture and prevent slouching.
On the House
As a spine injury specialist, I can tell you falls from the roof while hanging lights are real, and can be life-changing. From severe spine injuries to paralyzing fractures.
Safe Equipment is of the utmost importance!
- Make sure the ladder you’re using is sturdy and on solid ground.
- Only hang the lights from the eaves, so you can stand on a ladder.
- Maybe think about using one of those projection kits that project various displays onto your house without the risk of injury.
No matter how you choose to decorate and entertain this holiday season, safety is priority one. From our team here at Injury Medical and Chiropractic Clinic Happy Holidays!
El Paso, TX Severe & Complex Personal injury Rehabilitation
The connective tissues in and around the spine can get:
Small tears in the disc can also contribute to back pain.
Basically, any number of activity and non-activity can cause damage to the spinal discs depending on the movement.
Manual tasks performed in an awkward posture
- Lifting boxes with the back and not bending the knees
- Lifting something too heavy
- Moderate physical activity
- Vigorous physical activity
High intense strength training, long walks at the stores, handling people or animals, and picking up children can cause injury.